The Spying Glass

This is a page devoted to some of my favourite photos and some of my thoughts. I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to comment about anything, and if you happen to like any of the photos, please tell me. Compliments are always welcome!

Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Lion King

I took this in Antwerp zoo in Belgium. I usually hate zoos, and hardly ever go because they depress me so much, but I decided to go into this one as my father was with me and he had visited it before and said it was worth a look. There were the usual distressing sites that you get in most zoos (I won't bother going into details), but the Lions' enclosure was excellent. Really big and spacious. This particular Lion was the only male. It was about 5 in the evening and he was the only one outside. The females and young were obviously being fed because I could here the noises coming from behind the door at the back of the enclosure. The females inside must have been calling out to the male and he was getting really frustrated. He just kept pacing up and down the enclosure and making a very unusual sound. One I'd never heard before. It wasn't really a roar, more like a roar split up into several small ones. He would shake his head from side to side while doing it. The noise was so loud that it was almost unbearable. It was an impressive display and I was so glad I caught it. I took a load of shots of him, but with the falling light, this was the only one that came out well enough to post. It's not a very good picture, but it's one I wanted to share nonetheless.

14 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counter