The Spying Glass

This is a page devoted to some of my favourite photos and some of my thoughts. I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to comment about anything, and if you happen to like any of the photos, please tell me. Compliments are always welcome!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Other Side Of France


These two pictures were taken last November during the riots that plagued the suburbs of the big French cities. I won't bother delving into such a sensitive political issue, let's just say that the atmosphere in France at the time was peculiar, and there was a noticeable amount of tension in the streets. I took these photos on the day that the riots spread (for the first time) into the centre of one of the major cities (that city being Lyon). It all happened because of an unecessarily large police presence on Place Bellecour, the main square in the centre of the city. It started as a stand-off between the Police Nationale and a few groups of gathering youths. Progressively, more and more police started showing up and at the same time, more and more teenagers. Soon the youths started to jeer at the police and that is when I took these pictures. Soon after this, the CRS (the French riot squad) arrived and I, along with many other, was swept away by the Police Nationale and kept away from the ensuing scenes of chaos.
For anyone who is interested in seeing what life is like for the yougsters that were involved in these riots, I cannot recommend the film 'La Haine' highly enough.

To change the subject, this is the first time I've tried colour separation/isolation. It's not a great effort, but it is something I'm going to try again!! And I'm sorry that I can't visit your sites every day at the moment. I'm at a really busy time in my life and I barely have time to breathe. I'll check in as often as possible.

19 Comments:

  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Blogger Ash said…

    Great post, love the second one...excellent candid portrait!

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Anonymous outdoorexposure said…

    beautiful bw strong contrast from both shots:-) nice framing and great face expression...well done for color separated, i like it:-)

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Blogger Lore said…

    very interesting post!! and the shots are very expressive both of them!! I love the contrast in b&w and the separation of colour is nicely done, it catch your attention, and all their expressions as well!! conceptually strong subject!! Great shots!! Well done!!

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Blogger Joy said…

    Wonderful photo of both the police and the onlookers. A strong, strong sense of emotion is felt through both photographs.

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Blogger "K" Fingerett said…

    Great post Dustin!

    You can feel the tension in those pictures- the expressions and the black and white really do the trick :) I loved the commentary- it made the images come alive for me. I think I'll look around for La Haine and see if I can check that out.

    And no worries about being busy, and don't apologize for having a life- your alright. I hope everything calms down soon!


    ~K

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Blogger Brent Vermilyea said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Blogger Brent Vermilyea said…

    Your color separation is subtle enough that it is not distracting; the problem with the effect is when it becomes everything about the image. I fall into that trap every once in a while. I know what you mean about a confluence of events at one time. I'm finally getting around to commenting on blogs. Cheers, Dustin! -Brent

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Blogger menggarang said…

    Great powerful shots.

     
  • At Thursday, April 20, 2006, Anonymous Still said…

    Beautiful portraits, nad the B&W was agood choice

     
  • At Friday, April 21, 2006, Blogger Dia said…

    Very good photos man, I was watching all the action in tv, its very interesting to see a post about this from you :)

    heheh, Im also ultra busy these days, its a busy life for sure, SmiLe :)

     
  • At Friday, April 21, 2006, Blogger Dave MacIntyre said…

    Very dramatic images...I can't imagine being caught up in something like the riots in France...Toronto is pretty peaceful in that regard.

     
  • At Friday, April 21, 2006, Blogger backpack_everyday said…

    Hi Dustin,
    You have a very impressive shots.
    The rice farmer,Chinese bliss.
    Great blog and real good photos.will keep chcking it from time and again..

    thanks
    vathsan

     
  • At Saturday, April 22, 2006, Blogger Timmybomb said…

    I love the background on the bottom photo. The colour isolation turned out very well in the other. Nice work.

     
  • At Saturday, April 22, 2006, Blogger micki said…

    Two excellent shots! Top shot is my favorite, I guess I'm just a sucker for a man in uniform!

     
  • At Saturday, April 22, 2006, Anonymous MrC said…

    excellent shots mate! ... my favourite is the top one, & as Brent said... the colour doesn't overwhelm & take over - it adds an extra element to the shot

    as for La Haine!! fanfuckintastic film! ;) gotta admit i'm a French Film fan (although my main loves would have to be films from Hong Kong & Japan!)

     
  • At Tuesday, April 25, 2006, Blogger Jerry said…

    u take amazing pics man! i'm sorry i dont have time to read ur posts. now my time for internet is limited. by the way, what language do u speak with ur girlfriend? western people get surprised when i read chinese. i dont know how to pronounce them. but each chinese caracter has its meaning, and i have same caracters in japanese. it's useful when u travel.

     
  • At Saturday, April 29, 2006, Anonymous Suby said…

    Great pictures, B&W seems to help convey the atmosphere that was prevailent at the time this shot was taken, you can sort of feel the tension when looking at this images. Job as photographer more than done. :) Me impressed here.
    Suby

     
  • At Saturday, May 20, 2006, Anonymous neil said…

    Hi Dustin, nice post and a good idea to show the two photos together. Also i found it good to reflect back on this sad time for France, after a couple of months rest. Makes you think!

    Best wishes Neil

     
  • At Sunday, September 10, 2006, Blogger Chad Oneil said…

    Great images. Very "Time Life".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counter