The Spying Glass

This is a page devoted to some of my favourite photos and some of my thoughts. I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to comment about anything, and if you happen to like any of the photos, please tell me. Compliments are always welcome!

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Rice Farmer

This was a farmer in the Longji rice terraces. He and his wife had this little wooden hut up in the hills, and as my girlfriend and I had somehow become separated from our mountain guide, they made us come in and wait (it was pouring with rain). His wife gave us towels and made us soup, and we sat there and talked for what seemed like hours (my girlfriend translating of course!). When the rain finally subsided, he came outside with me to smoke a cigarette. We had a mutually incomprehensible conversation, but I loved it. He let me take a few pictures of him, and this was one of them. I really didn't want to leave, but he told my girlfriend that it would start getting dark soon. He directed her to where we needed to go, and we left. It was a heartwrenching moment, even though we'd only met them an hour before.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank my friend Daz ( http://www.infinityimages.blogspot.com ) for all his help and advice on how to use the amazing adobe photoshop package effectively. He knows it inside and out and is full of useful tips.

19 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counter